Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Room Full of Lawyers

Yesterday I attended a meeting with most of the city and town attorneys from throughout the state (Phoenix, Tucson, Chandler, Flagstaff, et. al.) regarding the recently passed SB 1070 immigration bill.

While I can’t go into the specifics of that meeting it was absolutely fascinating to hear that many municipal lawyers (I’d guess 20-25 attended in person or by phone) discuss the implications of the bill, the legal strategies forthcoming and the unintended consequences they envisioned.

Obviously time will tell if the concerns they raised will come to fruition but regardless this bill and its implementation will be interesting to watch.

3 comments:

  1. It must have been interesting to hear the lawyers and all of the potenial legal issues that a policy can create as people figure out its administration. From what I understand, much of this bill will be defined/clarified/revised through the legal system over many years and at many levels of government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Amy, it must have been so cool to hear what they had to say about this bill. I hope that you can elaborate on what kind of unintended consequences that may occur due to this bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand what you mean about being able to listen in on the conversation. I'm waiting to see what legal advice we receive from an outside firm we contract with to provide legal advice on matters relating to law enforcement. Having worked on Casa Grande's Use of Force policy I'm intrigued to know what will become of SB 1070. Cross your fingers that it gets worked out.

    ReplyDelete