Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I once was Lost… but now am found…

I have a feeling that many Lost fans have conducted more research and spent more thought into decrypting Lost's final season than I have spent in my entire graduate experience at ASU. For the record, that wasn't a critique on my academic expenditures.

I am a bit conflicted with Lost. On one hand, the over-thinking dork in me loves the series and the multiple theories on what happens as posted by 42 Inch Television or EW's Lost blog. Think about it: a popular network television program that not only makes you think, but makes you rethink, debate with friends, conduct research and then come to your own conclusion. Economics aside, Lost is a sharp contrast from the myriad of reality shows that dominate the airwaves.

That said, I am not a master of subtlety. I have to read multiple episode recaps, plus exchange multiple emails just to get above water on Lost and its hidden meanings (assuming my research is correct). I'll grant you I'm not Einstein, but then again I'm not the village idiot. If I have to consult "experts" on the deeper meaning of a TV show…

Case in point:

"An extremely little known fact: the subtitle to the season 3 classic 'The Man Behind The Curtain' was actually 'Very, very loosely based on the novel Push by Sapphire.'"

Seriously? I enjoy thinking but that my friends seems a bridge too far.

In the end I'd prefer a TV show spark more thought versus less, yet I don't think I should have to take the GRE and prepare my application to ASU for a Masters in Lost.

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen an episode of lost- but I feel The Wire is right up there with it... perhaps even Deadwood and Mad Men are comparable. They are very sophisticated, well-written shows that blew my mind. Mad Men is still on and thus will continue to blow my mind, but the wire and deadwood were nothing short of genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half of the office I work with watches Lost. So by default, I hear all the latest gossip for what's happening on the show.

    ReplyDelete