Monday, March 22, 2010

Higher (Cost) Education

The recent and drastic tuition and fee increase approved by the state's Board of Regents is yet another symptom of the state's woeful budgetary cause. Current ASU students will see an increase anywhere from 11.9% - 12.7%, while incoming freshman will experience an astounding 18.8% compared to this year's freshman.

What's ironic, in my opinion, is that in economic time such as these it can be useful for people who cannot find employment to further their education, yet these increases, on top of previous increases, make it that much more unaffordable for these people to go to school. Granted student loans are available to many if not most prospective students, but these are (obviously) not without cost.

I'm a huge advocate of anyone furthering his or her education, yet when it becomes this costly to go to school I think it is wise for a prospective student to investigate other alternatives such as community colleges or even foregoing school for direct work experience.

2 comments:

  1. yeah I feel the same way. I am going to be in so much debt after my master's program and I only have various internships to count as relevant work experience. Most of these internships have been places where I couldn't really move forward because it was temporary (presidential campaigns) or during budget cuts, or in DC over the summer. I'm starting to wonder where the master's program will take me (if anywhere) since I don't have a lot of experience. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your post. I am just glad I will be done after this semester, but that is no excuse for me to forget about other students. I am astonished by the dramatic increase to incoming freshman. That is a lot. Do you know if it is for both out-of-state and in-state freshmen? Also I talked with the FBI at the career fair too. All I got were some pamphlets, and the date of when they were discussing about becoming an agent. I kind of wish she would have just told me the details instead of sending me to another seminar. Are you interested in becoming a Special Agent or are you looking at the administration side?

    ReplyDelete