Monday, April 19, 2010

SB 1070

This afternoon SB 1070, the tougher of the two potential immigration bills before the legislature, was passed in both houses and is on its way to the Governor. This sets up an interesting political challenge for Gov. Brewer: on the one hand she signs it and deals with the political and legal headaches that will ensue from Democrats. Conversely, if she vetoes it, or refuses to sign it, it will be used against her in her primary challenge for re-election.

If I had to guess, and I’m not very good at guessing, I would say she doesn’t sign it. I don’t think she will veto it but I don’t think she will sign it. That way it will still become law but she will have enough wiggle room to express her concerns with the bill.

1 comment:

  1. but not signing it is exactly the same as signing it in my opinion-- not making a decision IS A DECISION!

    ReplyDelete